How to get respite

2 minute read

You will probably need to talk with different organisations to see what they offer and whether they can help you. Remember - help is always available in an emergency.

If you want to arrange emergency respite care

Call your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222 (or 1800 059 059 after hours)

Make sure you have made an emergency care plan

If the person you care for is aged 65 or over

Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

If the person you care for has disability and can get an NDIS package, they may be able to join a support group or social activity to give you a break

Call the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) on 1800 800 110

If you want to find out about local respite or activities for you or the person you care for

Talk with disability services in your state or territory

Call Carers Australia on 1800 242 636 or contact your nearest Carers Australia branch:

If you want to find out more about carer services and support

Call Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737