Support for rural and remote carers
Carers don’t just live in cities and towns. Australia has more than 2.7 million carers, and some of them live in rural and remote areas.
If you are a carer in a rural or remote area, there are many online and phone services available to help you.
Carer Gateway offers online help and advice, and also offers services that can be used by rural and remote carers, including:
- counselling over the phone, if you are worried or stressed
- an online forum, for you to connect with other carers
- online coaching sessions and skills courses, to help you with your role
Carers Australia has branches in every state. Many of these branches provide online or regional support services. Explore your state or territory branch to see what they offer. Each branch also has its own Facebook page:
- Carers Australia New South Wales
- Carers Australia Northern Territory
- Carers Australia Queensland
- Carers Australia South Australia
- Carers Australia Tasmania
- Carers Australia Victoria
- Carers Australia Western Australia
You can also join other online Facebook groups to learn about regional events and connect with carers in your area. You may like to use a general group or a group that deals with your situation. Search in Facebook for keywords, or possible groups include:
- Carers Australia
- Carers Issues
- Autism Parents Australia
- Disability and Carer Discussion Australia
- Dementia Carers Australia
- NDIS Carers Online
Visit the Carers Australia website to see what help you can get in your area, or call 1800 242 636
If you have feedback on the site, we'd love to hear from you.