- What is Carer Gateway?
- Who is Carer Gateway for?
- How do I contact Carer Gateway?
- What if English is not my first language?
- What if I can understand English, but have trouble reading it?
- What if I have a hearing, speech or vision impairment?
- More information
What is Carer Gateway?
Carer Gateway helps carers. If you care for a family member or friend, then Carer Gateway could help you.
- provides practical information and advice
- helps you to get the services and support you need
- provides free counselling services over the phone
- provides free coaching to help you in your role
- lets you connect with other carers through a community forum
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government initiative. Carer Gateway is making some changes to better help Australian carers.
Who is Carer Gateway for?
Carer Gateway is for anyone who is an unpaid carer.
You may be a carer if you are looking after someone with disability, mental illness, a medical condition (including a terminal or chronic illness) or someone who is frail because they are aged.
Carers can be any age. Carers can provide any sort of care – some carers look after another person 24 hours a day and help with daily living, while other carers look after people who are fairly independent but who sometimes need help.
How do I contact Carer Gateway?
Call 1800 422 737 Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm to speak with our helpful, Australian-based team.
You can also ask someone to call you back at a convenient time.
What if English is not my first language?
If you are more comfortable having a conversation in a language other than English, you can use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS).
TIS is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is accessible from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call on 131 450. TIS can translate in more than 100 languages.
You may also be able to access resources in your language.
What if I can understand English, but have trouble reading it?
If you need to listen to the information on Carer Gateway, you can use Readspeaker to automatically change written text to speech. Click the ‘Listen’ button on any page and it will be read aloud to you.
What if I have a hearing, speech or vision impairment?
If you need to talk with someone about carer support, you can contact Carer Gateway through the National Relay Service by:
- visiting the National Relay Service to choose how you would like to use the service
- asking for Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.
For more information about Carer Gateway, please call 1800 422 737, Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm your local time.