- What is Carer Gateway?
- Who is Carer Gateway for?
- How do I contact Carer Gateway?
- What if English is not my first language?
- What if I can understand English, but have trouble reading it?
- What if I have a hearing, speech or vision impairment?
- More information
What is Carer Gateway?
Carer Gateway helps carers. If you care for a family member or friend, then Carer Gateway could help you.
- provides practical information and advice
- helps you to get the services and support you need
- provides free counselling services over the phone
- provides free coaching to help you in your role
- lets you connect with other carers through a community forum
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government initiative. Carer Gateway is making some changes to better help Australian carers.
Who is Carer Gateway for?
Carer Gateway is for anyone who is a carer.
You may be a carer if you are looking after someone with disability, mental illness, dementia, a long-term health condition, an illness that will cause their death, or an alcohol or drug problem, or someone who is frail because they are old.
Carers can be any age. Carers can provide any sort of care – some carers look after another person 24 hours a day and help with daily living, while other carers look after people who are fairly independent but who sometimes need help.
How do I contact Carer Gateway?
Call 1800 422 737 Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm to speak with our helpful, Australian-based team.
You can also ask someone to call you back at a convenient time.
What if English is not my first language?
If you would like to have Carer Gateway webpages translated, you can phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50. The service can translate in more than 100 languages and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What if I can understand English, but have trouble reading it?
If you need to listen to the information on Carer Gateway, you can use Readspeaker to automatically change written text to speech. Click the ‘Listen’ button on any page and it will be read aloud to you.
What if I have a hearing, speech or vision impairment?
If you need to talk with someone about carer support, you can contact Carer Gateway through the National Relay Service by:
- visiting the National Relay Service to choose how you would like to use the service
- asking for Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.
For more information about Carer Gateway, please call 1800 422 737, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm your local time.