Carer payments

1 minute read

If you are a carer you may be able to get financial help from the Australian Government, depending on how much care you provide.

Video: Financial help

Find out what financial help you might be able to get as a carer.

Video duration 1:13

As a carer, you may be limiting your paid work, or have left work completely, in order to provide care, reducing your household earnings. In some instances, the financial pressures can quickly stack up when your income is reduced and you need to pay for increasing costs of care. This can be very stressful and difficult to manage over time.

It's important to find out what services are available and what's support or payments you're eligible for. You may be entitled to financial assistance from both the state and federal government, as well as charities and community organisations.

For instance, did you know that the Australian Government might be able to contribute with a carer payment which is paid to you because you are unable to work due to your caring role.

State-based funding may come in the form of a concession card, or carer card, where you may be able to receive discounts on energy and gas bills, water rates, public transport, and even some recreational activities. You may also be able to access other services like low interest loans and payments for specialised equipment relating to the care you provide.

If you are unsure what support is available, Carer Gateway can help you with the information you need. To find out what you're eligible for and how to apply, please go to or call 1800 422 737.

Carer Payment

This is income support if you can’t work because you care for someone.

You might be able to get this payment if you provide constant care in a private home for someone with a severe disability or severe medical condition or who is frail and elderly, and if you aren’t away from them for more than 25 hours a week to work.

Find out more and apply for a Carer Payment

Carer Allowance

This is an income supplement for carers or parents who provide daily care for an adult or dependent child or children.

You may be able to get this payment if you care for someone with disability or a medical condition, or a frail older person, and if you also work or study.

Find out more and apply for a Carer Allowance

Carer Supplement

This is a yearly payment to help with the cost of caring for a person.

You might be able to get this payment if you get a Carer Payment or a Carer Allowance.

Find out more and apply for a Carer Supplement

Are you over 65?

Older carers may be able to get a Carer Payment, Carer Allowance or Carer Supplement. But you may need to choose between a Carer Payment and an Age Pension.

To help you decide, visit the Australian Government Services Australia website.